Sunday, July 11, 2010

If we are living each day as our last day;what does it matter how many days we have left?

Hi All,
I expect to get the results of my tests from the Doctor tomorrow.[For those of you who don't know,I was diagnosed with neck cancer in November of last year]My first two tests,over a period of 7 months, have come back negative for "live" cancer cells.All glory to God!
I have the philosophy that,for most of us, no matter our age,if you perceive yourself as "healthy" with a few aches and pains,you do not have the same note of urgency about the time limits you have left in your mortal life,as when the Doctor says "you have cancer"or "you have 3 months to live" or "there's nothing more we can do for you"
I realize we all know we are going to die,however,wouldn't you agree there are some statements ,as above,that brings the truth of our mortality to the forefront of our brains' thought process.I like to say, prior to my diagnosis,I thought I was walking with God,now I am RUNNING towards God;it didn't make me a bad person,I AM a born again practicing my faith in God the Father,Son Jesus as my Savior,and the Holy Ghost living within me,the point being WAS I LIVING MY LIFE EACH DAY AS IF IT WAS GOING TO BE MY LAST?The answer is NO!Come with me now and I will tell you why my answer is NO.I will only give you a few of my weaknesses,otherwise this letter becomes a book.
I tend to be:
.impatient,controlling,selfish to my needs,I listen less and talk more,in other words"What about me"!
I have been aware of these failings, and many more, and have been working on them from the foundation of God's love for me through His word for many years.I know I am a better Christian man in my 60's then I was in my 50's,then my 40's etc.,however,the bell tolls,I can see my mortality through the diagnosis of cancer.
The rubber has hit the road,how strong is my faith in what Jesus said,John 11:25,26"I am the resurrection and the life.Those who believe in me ,even though they die like everyone else,will live again.They are given eternal life for believing in me and will never perish.Do you believe this,Martha?"Isn't this the most important question of our entire life?My answer to Jesus is YES!
My life has changed in the following ways since the diagnosis:
God is first,all the rest follows.
I am taking one day at a time.
I am more "Spiritually minded"
I don't sweat the small stuff;it's all small stuff
I appreciate and share the love I have for my family and friends,even more than the past,my actions as well as,words.
When I feel the devil bringing fear to my heart on my earthly death,I tell him to leave;I have chosen God's house[see John 11:25,26 above]
In closing ,please use my life's experience concerning my mortal walk ,to help you "truly"live as if,today is your last day on earth.
With Christian love,Joe

PS.A big thanks to Pastor Goss for his teachings today!

No comments:

Post a Comment