Sunday, July 4, 2010

Why didn't i take the time ?

Hi All,
I want to share a story with you today.
I'm going back to January of 1963,I was with my father this particular evening watching a high school basketball game at my Alma mater;as it turns out,I had to leave the game before it was completed,I said a typical goodbye to my dad"see you tomorrow" and went home.
The next day,at work,I received a call from our Priest that my father had past away of a massive blood clot that shut off the supply of blood to his brain.
I won't go into great detail of the shock my family and I went through,my father was only 53 yrs. old at the time of his death.
The last day ,before the casket was closed, I was looking at my father's remains and thinking to myself,if I only had one more time to tell him how much I loved him and to kiss him.I was 20 yrs.old when my father died,and typical of most young men my generation I was long past hugging and kissing my father.I made a promise to myself, at that moment, that from that time on I would hug and kiss my children,tell them i love them no matter how old they were,particularly if they were boys,[I have 2 boys,no girls]I didn't want to have to say "Why didn't I take the time"? ever again.I also,would let my family members and my friends know how important they were to me.
You must be asking why I shared this story with you ;I'm glad you asked !!!Today I was invited by one of my fellow church members to join her and her young family in going to a local nursing home to sing Patriotic songs in celebration of our independence day,July 4.What a blessing to me,however,in conversation with one of the caretakers,she shared with me how lonely most of these senior citizens were,they had family who lived as little as a mile away and rarely visited.I was so saddened by this and I remembered my experience of my fathers' untimely death,and thought ,how many of these family members are going to experience the question of "WHY DIDN'T I TAKE THE TIME?
The lesson today is to share this life changing experience of mine, so that ,possibly you won't have to experience this tragic question in your life.I would humbly suggest, that as you go through your life take the time to communicate with your loved ones on a regular basis,and let them know how much you love them,and that your glad their part of your life's experience.
Until next time,God Bless you ,Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment